- A conversation about privacy
- Why and how this website is entirely hand-coded
- How Britain became an island
- The internet of actual things, the stuff of nightmares, or a nightmare of stuff? For The Morning News
- The stag party, a little vignette from the train
- Backstage with Kraftwerk, another little bit of gentle pop satire
- A series of videos to accompany the Government Digital Service Manual
- An interview with Belinda Carlisle
- Games kittens play, includes how to chase your own tail, for The Morning News
- Putting the digit into digital, my column as used by the Herts Mercury
Sign up to my gorjuss newsletter
I'm a freelance creative writer. At the moment I'm doing a lot of work for the Government Digital Service. I also write a weekly syndicated column for the Press Association, and regular contributions for The Morning News and a handful of other magazines and blogs.
"Giles has written all sorts of copy for us at Dopplr. He's superb at adopting our company voice, and spends the time to understand what we're trying to communicate. His writing's excellent and he's one of the best around at explaining technology to all without ever sounding patronising."
-- Matt Biddulph, formerly of Dopplr
"I've used Giles many times as a freelance writer and never failed to be impressed with the quality of his work. Not only does he do the basics well - from doing the required research through to getting the work in bang on time - but he also writes clearly, concisely and with a high degree of obvious expertise. There's nothing that I couldn't throw at him with an expectation of high-quality finished copy. Highly recommended."
-- Ian Betteridge
"If I ever get a dog, I'm calling him Giles Turnbull."
-- Maggie Mason
Me elsewhere: photos on Flickr, links on Pinboard, and music on last.fm. I'm @gilest on Twitter and @gilest on app.net too. I have a LinkedIn profile. There's another Giles Turnbull who looks and sounds a bit like me at Pretend Office, but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence.
I live in south-west England with my wife and son and two cats. When I'm not working, I like taking photos and singing. Other interests include geology, science, archaeology, walking, Byzantine history, British geomorphology, real ale, listening to the radio, shelving, and biscuits.
(Last update: 18th April 2013)