Weeknote / Bats
Published (updated: ) in weeknotes.
- Attended a talk about bats, by Professor Fiona Mathews. There’s a lot of bats in my town, even rare ones. We often see them hunting in our garden on warm evenings. Now I know why: they love the local caves (there’s lot of caves round these parts).
- Wanted to start reading The Secret Commonwealth, but couldn’t remember all the details from La Belle Sauvage, so treated myself to a re-read of that first.
- Went for a long-ish walk on Thursday, to Avoncliff and back. Had a cup of tea in the pub because the tea shop was closed. Mused about kayak ownership. Did not buy any kayaks.
- It was parent’s evening at our son’s school. One of his teachers said something I’ve never heard any teacher say before: “Look, you’re a great kid. Exam grades don’t matter. You’ll do well in life whatever happens. Don’t let the pressure get too much.” I was impressed to hear that from a teacher.
This week in music:
- Release, a Pet Shop Boys album that passed me by first time round. But it’s pretty good.
- Komo Saxo, by Petter Eldh and collaborators
- Souvenir, OMD’s enormous career-spanning compilation
- #hits, by Example; I don’t know why I listened to this
- Best of Billy Bragg at the BBC 1983-2019
- The Missing Cryptoqueen podcast… Blockchain has so much to answer for