Contact: email@example.com / 07939 127917 / @gilest
Creative communication to help organisations work in the open and communicate like human beings: creatively, briefly and clearly. Coaching teams and leaders in showing the thing. Selected engagements:
- January 2020—present: director of communication for Public Digital
- November 2017—December 2019: consulting creative writer at Public Digital
- November 2018—March 2019: consulting comms specialist at the Department for Education
- November 2017—September 2018: creative digital communications specialist at HM Land Registry
- February 2017—May 2018: creative digital communications specialist at Defra; authored A guide to agile communication
Government Digital Service (Cabinet Office)
Creative writer, 2012—2016
Explaining GDS, GOV.UK and government as a platform to the public, to civil servants and to politicians. Writing and ghostwriting articles, speeches, blog posts, presentations and films. Advising senior management on simpler, clearer communication. Making digital government easy to grasp.
- Shaped and simplified strategic thinking for the leadership team
- Contributed to making many short films, among them What is GOV.UK?, Users first, Putting data to good use, Solving common problems once and Government as a platform
- Researched and wrote the story of GDS
- Pushed the Design Principles from alpha to beta
- With the team, reflected and shaped organisational culture with It’s ok, which was subsequently exhibited at the Vienna Biennale 2017
- Elected by colleagues to serve on the GDS People Board
Journalism and copywriting for the BBC, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, Engadget, MacUser, Cult of Mac, O’Reilly Publishing, Time Inc, Dopplr, Nokia and moo.com, among many others.
A syndicated weekly column distributed to 100s of news organisations, explaining the internet and online culture in simple terms for ordinary people.
Technology editor, 1997—1999
Exploring and reporting on the growing UK internet scene.
Contributor of satire and comedy at The Morning News
Creator of Blockbox cards
Writer of Bad transport poetry
Early pioneer of the UK blogging scene
Finalist, Online Journalism Awards 2012 (for “Twitter by Post“)
BA Hons, Anglia Ruskin University, 1992